It’s that time of year again to start getting in the festive mood, and what better way than to get a bit crafty and make use of any scraps of wallpaper or wrapping paper lying around! Here at the studio we love recycling and being creative so we thought, why not combine the two to make an extra special, personalised advent calendar. These handmade advent calendars are perfect for adding your own little treats and gifts into, or even just making your room look a little more colourful!
Did you know that advent calendars originated in Germany in the late 1800’s?!
We’ve compiled a little ‘how to’ on making your own just in time for Christmas.
1. Find any scraps and cut offs of wallpaper, wrapping paper, or any old paper for that matter – books work great (just make sure it wasn’t one you wanted to read before cutting it up!). We’re using wallpaper for this how to.
2. Cut the wallpaper to your preferred size. Make sure that you leave enough room for the item that you’re going to put inside the little pouch. Remember to leave 1 cm each side to be able to fold in and stick together. We made our rectangle 20cm by 10cm.
3. On each of the long sides, fold over your 1 cm excess panels inwards.
4. Stick some double sided tape on the folded in sides and stick it together by folding the whole thing in half lengthways. Or alternatively, you could use brightly coloured tape on the outside of the pouch, make sure it goes over the fold to hold it all together.
5. Cut out a shape of your choice. Not from the pouch! Make sure to use a different piece of paper for this part. We chose circles. Then write numbers onto them, 1 to 25, one for each day of December up to Christmas day.
6. Get some paperclips and some string, and attach the pouch, the number and the string together. They don’t have to be ordered numerically if you don’t want to.
Now you’re ready to hang up your advent calendar and fill it with little goodies. Not sure what to fill it with? Why don’t you have a look at the gift section on our website, the wooden tags are the perfect size to fit in these little pouches!
We’d love to see your own advent calendars, just tag #lornasyson on Instagram or send us a picture on Twitter or Facebook!